Our network


Student Pages Selected for Maryland General Assembly 2011

Five Frederick County students will serve as pages, and one as alternate, for the Maryland General Assembly 2011 legislative session. All are high school seniors.

Margo Dawes, Frederick High – Current student member on the local Board of Education, Margo has earned recognition as a National AP Scholar and Maryland Distinguished Scholar Semifinalist. She was named MVP Lawyer of the Season during 2009 Mock Trial competition, is a National Honor Society member and has won several academic awards. Margo is also past president of the Frederick County Association of Student Councils.

Frederick Triplets Star in 'Life As We Know It' Along Side Katherine Heigl

The Clagett triplets, Brooke, Brynn, and Alexis have been cast in the Warner Bros. movie Life As We Know It starring Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel. 

On October 8th the Clagett's will be having a kids Red Carpet Party in Frederick with about 70 kids attending. They will be closing off the street and having photo opps, music, food, games, and dancing. Later that evening 200 of their family and friends will be attending the movie together in Frederick.

Clagett Triplets’ Biography

What are the chances of being born spontaneous identical triplets? Many put the odds at one in 200 million!

What are the odds of being cast in a major Warner Brothers movie, after a national search, at the age of 15 months with no experience, no resume, and no headshots?  Slim at best.

Top Chef Winner and Runner-Up (Brothers!) Host Dinner for Share Our Strength

Chef BRYAN VOLTAGGIO OF VOLT RESTAURANT will co-host along with his brother Michael a very special dinner on Tuesday, September 28, 2010, for Share Our Strength®, the leading national organization ending childhood hunger in America. The dinner is part of the organization's national touring dinner series, A Tasteful Pursuit®, and will support the organization's efforts to end childhood hunger in the State of Maryland.

Man Intentionally Set Fatal Car Fire

Investigators from the Office of the State Fire Marshal have determined the fire that took the life of a twenty-six year old Germantown man at a Frederick County Exxon gas station, was intentionally ignited.

Ainsley Ronald Gordon, Jr. was fatally burned when gasoline vapors were ignited,consuming him and his 2006 Nissan Xterra at the Exxon station located at 5516 Buckeystown Pike in Frederick, in the early hours of November 4, 2009.

After a lengthy investigation, investigators determined Mr. Gordon was responsible for pumping approximately twelve gallons of gasoline on and around his vehicle and most likely himself, before igniting the blaze. All other possible causes for the fire were eliminated during the investigation. No motive for his actions was established.

Frederick Man with Gang Ties Facing Gun Charges in Md.

The Northern Virginia Daily reports, a Frederick County man with links to a motorcycle gang faces gun charges in Maryland, according to authorities.

Stephen Francis Torres, 52, of 302 BobCat Trail, Shawneeland, is charged in Prince George's County (Md.) Circuit Court with five, firearm-related offenses, according to information on the state's online database. The offenses happened Aug. 28, the statement says. A grand jury returned the charges Sept. 9 and Torres is set to appear in the court on Sept. 24.

R.T. Swartz, an investigator with the Frederick County Sheriff's Office, seized items from Torres' home while executing a search warrant Thursday in relation to gun charges and criminal street gang participation. Swartz has been assigned to the Northwest Virginia Regional Gang Task Force since 2005.

Assisted Living Without Water

Since last Thursday, the residents of Tranquility at Fredericktowne, an assisted living home, have been without water.

The home has 68 rooms on three floors for its 80 residents.  As of right now, the home has been using bottled water for drinking, sponge baths and brushing teeth.  Paper plates and plastic utensils have also replaced using water to wash dishes.

Frank Gerhardt, spokesman for Tranquility says the issue came to light when two of their residents were in the hospital and tested positive for waterborne illness.  He says they haven’t linked it back to the assisted living center, but as a precaution they’re taking measures.

Gerhardt says Tranquility doesn’t understand what the problem is.  They use city water.

The Health Department has performed water tests which are still in the lab baring no results yet. They’re going to take more samples to make sure the problems are fixed.